I wanted to write something about this tomorrow, 31.12.2005, but... I can't wait. haha.. so, here I am (since I won't be able to write anything tomorrow).
It was the most unforgetable New Year I ever celebrated! It was my last new year celebration in England before I came back to Malaysia for good. I still remember, it was right after Malaysian Christian Conference in Reading, I reached Bristol on 29th or 30th of December 1999. There and then, I was being invited by a group of friends, good friends to celebrate New Year!!!
Roads were closed in Bristol City Center. Hence, I reached my friends' place at Manor Hall, Bristol University, Bristol a few hours before the road closure. It was a cold day. A few of us were helping with someone moving from room to room and from cooking and making arrangement for the dinner. We were told, a special guest will be there that evening to join us for dinner. It was the Manor Hall's Warden, Dr. M. J. Crossley Evans.
We watched the TV the whole day it shows how every country in the world celebrated the coming of 2000. It was a huge event. I was so happy to have a group of good friends to celebrate the new year with me. I can hardly forget what happen that evening. Besides, chatting, eating, drinking and some singing to the Lord, we get together and pray for the years ahead of us as we departed from each other. My heart was feeling very sad to leave so many of them behind and especially one very loving friend.
When the clock reached 11:45pm, 15 mintues before new year, we can hear loud voices outside, car horns, fire- works and fire crackers, etc. On that moment, the warden came in to us and asked if we want to enjoy the greatest moment in Bristol on the first second of 2000. Of course we love to.
Allow me to discribe a bit about Manor Hall. Manor Hall is situated above a Hill, almost same level as Bristol Suspension Bridge ( http://www.clifton-suspension-bridge.org.uk/). So, when the Warden said he is bringing up to the top of the Hall, we were excited. It was very high.
By the help of my loving friend, I reached the top of Manor Hall. Before I stand still, I started to feel 'trembling'. Besides nervous, its freezing cold. It's Bristol and we were near the sea and we were on top of a building which is on top of a Hill. We can see the whole Bristol from where we stand. And just before we focus on the city view, we were shocked by a few fire works and fire crackers.... the clock turned 12am on 1.1.2000 and the fire works and fire cracker were relased by don't know how many people in Bristol. And the flakes and sparkes were just in front of our eyes. It was the first and only time I watched fire works and fire cracker without looking up the skies. It was so beautiful and amazing. Although it sounds like we were in a war, but it was so romantic and spectacular. We standed there for about 20 minutes and only we remember to greet our friends "Happy New Year!!!". We were too occupied by the wonder set in front of us. We stand there for almost 30 minutes and thereafter we went back to Manor Hall.
I don't know how Malaysia or any part of the world celebrated the 2000 new year. As for me, I think it is merely unexpectedly wonderful!
5 years has passed. But I still remember the scenes that I saw.
Ah.. some of you who gone through it with me know what I mean.
... Love ya all !!! and... Happy and Blessed NEW YEAR 2006 !!!!
2 comments:
Cool... i wish i can find the "same spot" as u did. I have seen many fireworks but not this. (i can imagine how it is). I don't really like the way that i celebrated 2000 new year. I was in Las Vegas. Nothing special except ALL the people were crazy.
Yes.. indeed it was an amazing and spectacular's scene which i do not think many would experience. If you do have the chance, do go up hill and watch. The fire work is so close to us... i thought i was going to be hit by it. the loud noices......wow..i can still remember it freshly in my mind. I hope it remain forever though. :)well, Las Vegas.. what do you expect? ..
Post a Comment