Ghoosh... I don't know why I keep on feeling it's Saturday today. Hence, I refused to iron my clothes, I refuse to go to bed, I even refuse to wake up this morning. ...
Anyway, this morning, as usual, my dad drove me to work. We did our usual chatting and we were following the traffic jam (don't ask me why there is a traffic jam every morning in this small town, I can't figure it out myself. I suspected it's the bad town and road planning) and when we came near one of the church by our right hand side, there was a car in the left lane of the road tired to cut into our lane, but giving not a single signal. He just turned and it almost hit our good, faithfu, rather old Honda Civic. I was shocked by the sudden movement of the car and since my dad, who's in his 60s was driving, he was quite fast in his reaction to turn the car to avoid being hit by the car. I look at the car, it's Proton Saga, red colour, bearing registration number ST2xxxE. I was shock one because of his sudden turn, two, his car was putting some car stickets to 'advertise' Jesus, God, that he is a christian and he was driving in such a danger, careless and reckless manner. I started to wonder if he really aware of what he is doing.
In December 1999, right after Chriatmas, a friend (Thian Poh) and I attended a conference in Reading, England. This conference is Malaysian Christian Conference, mostly known as MCC. I met quite a number of people there. Mostly Medical Doctors and Lawyers as these are the majority groups that are not willing to come back to Malaysia after a few years of venture in England. I still remember the main topic of the conference. We went through the whole book of Jeremiah during the 3 days conference and we all were being reminded to go back to our country to help the people of our own country. It was the last day of the conference and one of the Revd. drove us to the train station. While we were travelling to the train station, the Revd. started the conversation about whether we should observe the law on earth. He gave the opinion that if we said we are observing the law of God, we should also observe the law that God given to us in the earth. He reminded us that breaking the law of the earth will mean we also breaking the law of God. To no suprise, we all agreed. But suddenly he asked if all of us is observing the traffic law. All of us were stuned.
************************
I think we all did not think observing the traffic law in Malaysia is breaking the Law of God. In Tawau, suprisingly, you can see a few small size roundabout. I heard many complain about the building of such small roundabout by the authority. Honestly, I don't think many understand the usage of a roundabout. The roundabout, let me remind you, it is a LAW. It determine which party goes first and who's next. However, sadly, not many people understand and yet, they point their fingers and blame the authority.
As I was thinking about the traffic law in Malaysia, I was quite disappointed by a few parties who constantly breaking the traffic law themselves and at the same time, asking the citizens of Malaysia to observe the Law.
1. The public transport. Everybody knows the public transport, i.e. the taxi and the buses does not observe the traffic law. I don't understand why the authority did not stop them for possessing their driving license though. I strongly opined that those who breaks the law shall be punished.
2. Suprisingly, the authority themselves. i.e. the Army who are riding motocycles, even the police cars, police motocycles. I am sure they are bound under the law, but it seems that they won't get a summon if they do break the law because they claimed themselves 'on duty'.
3. Parents. I need to blame the parents really. For not being a good example to show their children of the seriousness of the traffic law.
I don't know how serious you take into observing the law of God. But if you are really serious, may be you should be reminded of the seriousness of breaking the traffic law, which is the law of God as well. By being a Christian, I do hope you give a good example to the others instead of following someone's bad example. Althought it sounds 'stupid' to observe the traffic law, but... think for yourself: "What Will Jesus Do"?
2 comments:
I realise from this post, that there is actually such a thing called 'Law' on Malaysian roads... before reading this, i thought that the bigger car you drive, the better your chance of arriving on time. No???
see.. what a Chrsitian observing the Law... - Sigh -
Post a Comment