Saturday, April 22, 2006

Red book

“It is unfortunate that most people are completely ignorant of their rights. They do not have the slightest idea of what the police can or cannot do.”Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz
It is quite saddening when you know that most of the Malaysian doesn't know what the police can and cannot do to them. Unlike other countries, most of them know their own rights well, they know the rules, the law very very very well. Therefore, most of us, Malaysia get bullied by authorities most of the time. I passed this highway on my way to Cheras and I saw a car was detained by a police and the driver was standing outside (don't ask me why) and he seems happy (smiling) while digging out his purse to ... I am not sure then what both him and the police were doing then. I don't really want to care about it.
A few of my friends were scolding the police authorities last Sunday for not picking up the phone. That's one. Secondly, for not transferring phone calls properly. Thirdly that police only came to the premise after 30 minutes of reporting. Fourthly, that we need to make a police report in 2 police stations. Fively, that they only came up to the premise 6 hours after the incident. I was pondering then in my mind thinking: " of course the crime rate is going up. Every robbery knows they can get away just like that because the police is slow".
I do not mean to criticise or defame the police authorities. But I do believe, they can be better. I was scolded terribly by this judge on last monday and I was told later (few days later) that even though she acted as such, no one actually respected her. That's what exactly happen to the police authorities sometimes. A normal Malaysian will never want to involve themselves with police authorities. They wouldn't even want to make police report, etc... because they think they can handle things much better than the police force.
Though I was scolding this friend of mine who was commenting about the police force last Tuesday. I tried to tell her that, as a citizen, we need to do our part in order for the police force to do their part. However, when I 're-think' what I said, and saw a few cases after Tuesday in courts, I felt that I can hardly give them some respect and trusted them. I simply can't understand why.
However, I really happy to see the Red Book is born. But suprisingly.... no one know where to grab a copy of that. I think, everyone should have a copy of this, at least to know about their rights.
REDBOOK - English and article on the lauching:
So, enjoy....!!!
- Red Book -

No comments: