Monday, September 24, 2007

Weekend Challenge

It was 2 weeks ago that I have decided to join the Medical Camp organised by the Diocese Welfare Board, Diocese of Sabah, although it was published and calling for volunteer months ago in all churches across Sabah.
The journey started at 1pm though we gathered at Wisma Anglican at 12pm. It was because I have to take photographes of their departure and also Annie was taking video of the departure of the team. We stopped by Ranau for a drink and snacks before we continue our journey to Telupid. We reached Telupid, the Valley of Blessing at about 6pm. We were all being warmly welcomed by the Archdeacon Melter Tais and his family by a small but yet very tasty BBQ buffet at the church compound. We had a short briefing after the dinner before we head to our bed and sleep.
The next day, we woke up at 6am and got ourselves ready to go to this village call Entilibon which is about 1 1/2 hours drives from Telupid. The road was bumpy but we thank God that it did not rain. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how difficult our journey would be. When we reached the community hall at Entilibon, I was shocked to see so many people were gathered in front of the hall, waiting for registration and waiting to be attended by the doctors. It was a challenge for me as photographer to go around every single 'department' to take some shots of their interesting 'encounter'. However, about 700 villages turned up just that morning and that many has their medicines picked up and went home happily. I can see how happy they were although they were sick.
It was a very tiring trip but it was not only fun, but also very meaningful trip. It was my first time seeing a tooth being extracted because it was joined with bone. It was interesting to see people lined up to get their eyes to check up because there's free spectacles to be taken home. It's interesting also to see the kids playing around, and asking for candies, etc. The people who is born and grew up in the City though they were there to so call help, but I can see that they are not used to the environment and the situation. But they had stepped a very brave step to at least turned up. To me, the villages' life is not something strange to me. I used to play around with those local people when I was younger. I get along with their lives easily as I did got around with them when I was younger. I like their food. Treasured their food and surrounding. It's sometimes weird to found out that I am really alright with their kind of living. hahaha....
Well, because of the challenge in Entilibon, I have missed a good friend's wedding. So sorry my dear... I know you don't mind because I really am not absent from your wedding purposely. You know that... anyhow, Contratulation and God Bless, Felicia and Nicholas!!!
- weekend challenge -

No comments: