Monday, July 20, 2020

The Godly Lawyer

When I first using the name, "the Godly lawyer", I received many comments about the name.  Many are of the opinions that it is impossible that lawyer to be Godly.  That saying was in my mind for the past 15 years at least.  During this period of time, often I find myself pondering over what Godly lawyer means.  Is that about the character of the lawyer, the ability of the lawyer or how prestigious the lawyer is?  To be honest, there's no absolute answer to that definition of 'godly'.  Why am I using that name, "the Godly lawyer"?

First, it is a challenge to myself that, I need to be reminded that, I am a lawyer today because of God.  There's no way that I become a lawyer because of my own ability.  For those who know me for years, you know that it is a miracle that I am a lawyer today and no one, including my mother in her wildest imagination, will believe that I am a lawyer today.  

Secondly, as a lawyer, I know it will always be challenged to be more like Him whenever I am in this profession.  People can never associate lawyer with the servant of God.  People think to uphold justice has great chances that we are of the 'black' side, trying to help criminals, trying to lie and make sure justice is not done. This understanding consists of general or the majority of people in the world.  The lawyers always standing in oppose to police and prosecution.  The lawyers always stand as the one who challenges the police and the prosecution.  That's what people understand the work of lawyers.  It is impossible to be like Jesus when you are a lawyer.  That's what people think. I do not blame the world or how people perceive lawyers. We, the lawyers are only an advocate.  Just like Jesus, who submit our prayers to the Most High.  As lawyers, we only submit our client's petitions and prayers to the Judge and I want to be reminded that, when I submit the petition and prayers to the Judge, I should do it like how Jesus is doing, that is without fabrication or tempering of evidence, speak the truth, submit the truth, get the judgment the truth.  Therefore, I advise my clients accordingly, with truth and love, that if they have done wrong, I make sure they are warned of their possible judgment and consequences.  Making sure that they are ready for their punishment.  If it is for them to get their justice, I will make sure that the Judge hears and understand my client's cries and make the fair and just decision. This is my calling and how a Godly lawyer should be.  

Thirdly, the world perceives lawyers as rich and famous.  They are of different level of reputation in society.  They are accessible only by a certain group of people, who usually also rich and famous.  Many say that lawsuits or litigation matters are rich man games.  I have to agree because in my practices, I met a few rich people who 'invested' in lawyers, high-class lawyers, trying to win the lawsuits, not because of compensation, not because of damages and losses, but for their face.  They are alright to spend millions and billions just so that they WIN the suitcase, for winning sake and not for any relief.    Lawyer to them is just a tool. For me, I do not want to be a lawyer who is just a tool for rich people.  I want to be a lawyer for those who are oppressed and for those who need help, even though they are unable to pay as much as those rich people.  I can be respected and known by many in the 'rich people world' and submitting their prayers a petition for them.  But it would be more meaningful for me in my practice when I am able to submit the petition and prayers of those who are poor to the Judge so their voice is heard too.  Everyone deserves to be heard and it shouldn't be only available for those who can pay or who is rich.  Like Jesus who is the son of God.  He rather being born in a manger, grew up as a carpenter and he is now seated in the right hand of the Father, be our advocate, regardless of whether we are rich or poor, as long as you want Him to be your advocate, He is there advocating for us.  That's my calling, the calling of the Godly lawyer.  

Because of my calling and focus to be a Godly Lawyer, I have met tremendous challenges which not many can understand.  First, I will not get paid for the job most of the time.  Secondly, I have been doing things the way which not everyone understands why I am doing it because to many people, things can be less challenging and I can guarantee to have a better lifestyle and wealth if I am doing what the rest of the lawyers are doing.   Thirdly, for how and what I need to do, I will have to do it alone because being a Godly Lawyer, I do not have the luxury, the reputation, the wealth and the respect that every other lawyer are getting.  Many who joint my firm, left because they realised that, I am not running a business.  Stick around with me will means, being a poor lawyer (both in wealth and in reputation).  

It explained why my office is operating in a very run-down house in a residential area.  My service is available to everyone, regardless of your backgrounds, your age, your race.  Just let me know, "How can I help"?

Is that easy to be Godly lawyer? No.  It's not.  Never is.  Most of the time,  I get mocking and complains and gossips, and discouragement instead of praise and a pat on the shoulder.  I understand that not everyone can understand what I am doing.  Most of the people measures me by the worldly ruler. I am judged.  I am criticized.  I am not being appreciated.  But, for whatever that is worth, I will still be a Godly Lawyer and hold on to what my calling is, be it the world look at me and laughed at my stupidity and irrationalism.  

Lord, this calling is too challenging, but not impossible to accomplished by Your help.  Help me to continue to be the Godly Lawyer and may all the glory be to you and you alone.  

So, is it possible to be Godly lawyer? Well, it's all about whether you are able to focus on God while you are being a lawyer or you wish to focus on yourself and how much you and enjoy in life. 

- the Godly Lawyer - 

#IcanonlyaccomplishthecallingofGodifHeiswithme 
#Ihavebeenblessed
#Iamthechosenlawyer
#godlylawyer
#theGodlyLawyer


No comments: