It’s been more than a month now that the Black Lives Matter movement has happened and people suddenly want to wipe the history out and demanding for their position to be established and recognized. Everyone wants to be recognized, every race wants to have their stand and position, and everyone thinks they do have the rights for everything they want in the world, which does not just their voice be heard, but also their demand be fulfilled, a failure which, their rights is violated and not respected. There goes the situation in 2020, which everyone is trying to endanger other’s life just because they think their voice is worth more interest than any other’s life, if not voice.
I was born Chinese race (and that’s what I put in every single form I need to fill in), in Malaysia, a Muslim country. I am also a Christian (that’s what I put in every single form I fill in). Malaysia is a democratic country where freedom of speech and freedom of religion is part of the Federal Constitution, which give us the rights to choose our religion and also the freedom to speak whatever you want to, as long as it is not against the governments and Islam and you have the freedom to be in whatever religion, but strictly no sharing of religions issues to Muslims and that’s the law. I grew up understanding freedom comes with boundaries. I observe them and not only I am still bound under the law, but I also respect the laws, and even though I am fully trained with English laws, I can identify and recognized the differences of the laws between England and Malaysia and respect both them the same.
Racism. Being Christian Malaysian Chinese, people will only recognize me as “CHINESE”, and not bothering whether I am from Malaysia or from China or even from England. As long as they saw my face, they know, I am a CHINESE. For a Chinese to walked into a church in England, some people wonder (a) if I am a Christian; (b) whether I am a communist spy from China; (c) whether I have a clue where I am. When they asked me where I am from and I answered Malaysia and they will give me a look like I am definitely not someone they want to welcome. ... and that’s Church in England that I was talking about.... until of course, they realized that my dad is a priest and thereafter, I got a BETTER treatment.
At work, in England... it was terrible. People think I am a Chinese and they started to swear and talked bad about China and Chinese, the communist country, the treatment they treated their citizens (to be honest, I don’t think the citizen feels bad about how the government treats them and they are thankful they survived the day if not year) and when they realised I am not from China, they were curious to know how come Chinese are not living in China (Oh yes, they are that stupid) and think that I must be those blessed one, but not knowing how my grandma was sold to Borneo as a slave and all. Cut the story short, I get bullied badly while working in England, as CHINESE or having a CHINESE face.
In church in Malaysia. I was taught to wear my Sunday best to church on Sunday and if I am not, I feel awfully guilty about it. That last till Secondary school time, where I read about what James says about favouritism. Ever since, I am curious to find out how people sees me if I am not dressing up nicely to church, but just decently. I dislike being treated ‘special’ and so many times, I rather attend other churches than those where my parents or brother are attending. I find their service or treatment is superficial. Worse still when I saw them giving special treatments to the Datuk, Datin, the rich people, etc. because all I heard is they need monies for their churches and all. Honestly, I dislike such acts.
I experienced this a lot in the past 25 years of my life and I seriously wonder if the church ever read and understand James Chapter 2. Sometimes, I wonder if the churches have counterfeit faith in them too. When i was in need of some help, all i gets from my pastor was, “this is the burden that you need to overcome it yourself and we are unable to help you to”. I wonder if I am not a poor, sick soul but a rich sick soul, will things be different? or may be... if my parents are rich one? May be the church or the leaders will say, “we will ask the whole team to help you”.
I hate favouritism but I do know it happens everywhere, even in the church office and the priest’s home. Are we, those who shows favouritism is worthy to be called Christian? or are we those who claimed to have faith but failed to act is to call ourselves Christian?
I dislike favourites but it happens everywhere. I hope those who claimed themselves a Christian, especially those who are trying to dominate the world, read James 2 thoroughly and apply them in their lives. Well, I am not pointing that just to them obviously.
- Favouritism -
No comments:
Post a Comment