It was a very hot summer day. I was sitting at the living room, waiting for the worker from the logistic company to come and to arrange 2 of the boxes to be shipped back to Malaysia sometime in July 2000. While the worker came, I noticed he’s sweating excessively and he immediately asked for a drink.
Being a typical Chinese Malaysian who was taught to be polite, hospitable and with manner, I went into the kitchen, looked for the best drink I could offer and it did not come to my mind that tap water should be an option. I opened the fridge and I saw this precious packet drink that I treasured so much (It was difficult to get some of those during my stay in the UK then) and even if it was available, I will have to take at least 2 hours journey to the city to get it) – Chrysanthemum Tea. Yes! I must share with him this great drink and I am sure he will appreciate it. I quickly took one packet without much thought and handed him. He had a look at it, took a sip or two and he threw the whole packet on the floor and uttered, “Gracious God, what sort of drink is this? Such a disguising taste.”. He got so angry, moved my Two boxes to the car, signed a few papers and left.
Oh well, a different perspective isn’t it? Something an Asian would think is the best and precious, not necessary what a Westerner would love. Something an Asian dislike doesn’t mean they are being low class or wrong. It is just a personal preference. I still prefer a Chinese tea better than an English tea sometimes and the Malaysia KFC is definitely more delicious than those in the UK. A NIVUK version of Bible compare to NKJV version, or even a Chinese bible is better than English?
By forcing that guy to drink what I think was the best drink I can then offered, was a mistake. I should have asked him if he prefers to have the packet drink or tap water, shouldn’t I? What I perceived as the best, does not necessary is what you want or need.
Well, I was heartbroken that day after the incident, not about hurting the guy’s feeling though. For losing one Chrysanthemum Tea. 🤣
No comments:
Post a Comment