During the most difficult time at this moment, I can only remember what my grandma used to told me and what my dad used to told me. I attended a few friends' grandfather's funeral yesterday. I happen to be able to listens some of the stories of their grandfather and I am not only encourage and inspired, but I am also being reminded what my grandma told me once.
I am never a favourite grandchild of my grandma because I am her only granddaughter. The boys somehow captured her heart. Of course, it's also because I am not as girly and I am not as loveable compare to the rest. Worse still, I am not pretty, I am not cute, i never know how to speak to make her happy, I am not smart and I am just a weird, little girl.
I don't have much recollection of any fond memories between me and my grandma. But in one particular, I remember she cut some guavas for her to eat and I asked her to eat with us (all my other cousins were around too, but I was the 2nd eldest) and she told me, she likes to eat the seeds as they are sweeter. I believed her. Later, i told my mom about it and she laughed at me said I get cheated because she just loves us and wanted us to eat the fruits. My grandma is not educated. She worked like a maid when she was young before she married to my grandfather. She was 'sold' from China to Macau, to HK and then to Sabah. But from young, I thought my dad was very educated, i.e. he has a lots of knowledges in him. He knows everything. He can solve all problems. He speaks many languages and his English is good. He always do translation for others. I remember people came over to my house to ask him help with his tax filing, etc.
I was told my grandma was making sure every of her children goes to school and be educated, no matter how hard life was then. She can let go of everything else or sacrifices everything to make sure her children goes to school and get educated.
I remember when I was about to go to England for my degree, she had her 3rd time to stroke then... and I was so afraid that I won't see her again after I left. So, I visited her more often those days and one of the very last thing i remember she told me on the day before i left was that "no matter what happen, just study until you cannot study anymore." Knowing that I am never good in studies, she still encouraged me. It's like a force for me. When I came back from England, she was no longer able to talk to me. And that's one of the words and advises from my grandma until today.
- to be continue.... -
No comments:
Post a Comment