Knowing that I went through major depression for a while, many who has their friends and family members who's suffering from it came to look for me for advice. All of them asked me the same questions, i.e. (a) Is that mean, it is possible to get it over with? (b) So, it only take 1 year to get well? (c) How did you do it?
My answers exactly, "It's not easy. Many efforts had been put on." I will say, it is extra and extra efforts made. Just like you got up to a horse for the first time, when your instructor asking you to start trotting. You wonder if you can do it. You wonder if your legs will have enough strength, whether you will lose balance and fall down from the horse, etc. etc. etc. But instead of coping 'physically', you are basically asking a depressed person to cope with depression. It's not easy because it attached with your feeling. i.e. you are happy, and you are forcing yourself to be unhappy. Now, that's easier for you to understand, instead of me saying, if you know you are unhappy, you are forcing yourself to be happy. Many people thought it's easy to make yourself happy.... but in a depression scenario, you are not doing that. It's as difficult as when you are happy, you are trying to make yourself unhappy. Yes. extra efforts needed.
I am blessed enough to have my parents. Even with my dad's situation, I think he helped the most. For me to cope, to adjust, to put extra efforts, etc. etc. I am blessed to have managed to moved myself out of my 'comfort' place to go around people I do not know, with or without me liking it or not. I am glad enough to put efforts to take up a phone to call someone when I cannot stand it. I am glad to have a good doctor definitely ... for helping me not to rely on medicine.
I am glad I put enough efforts to make sure I got away and distance myself and cut myself off from things, people and places that caused me depressed - church is the greatest.
I am seriously glad to have relatives from all over the world who gave me tons of advises and supports and not seeing me as someone who is mentally sick.
Oh well, I must say, .... there's lot of efforts being taken. Many which needs a lots of help from people around. I am lucky enough not to have a family, a husband and children that can gave me extra pressures. I can be rich by now, but i choose not to. There's just too many adjustment, decision that forms part of the efforts.
There's just too many times, people who are depressed will just let it be ... doesn't want to come out from it. Because being depressed is much easier than climbing out from it. To snap out from it? It's not hard, it's not even near hard, it's IMPOSSIBLE. I just happen to not bothers about what other says about me and walk around, do works, live a life normally, healthily. If you can't give a helping hands to those depressed people, just walk away and don't bother at all. Because if you don't, with the 'hope' you gave them initially will discourage them later to a point, they will need extra efforts to get back to the same point.
Until today, I still hope one day, those who caused more hardship to me during the most difficult time of my life will experience at least once in their life. I wish them good luck in handling then.
Oh well.................it's over. The nightmare is over... and I will make sure I will not get back to that position anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment