Wednesday, January 23, 2008

FULL STOP!

Don't get me wrong on yesterday's post. I wasn't saying those who has been always care for me shouldn't call me. I was just saying, ... for those who never did, if you call me after you read my blog, I would doubt how sincere you are. Anyway, let forget about this topic.
************************
I came into office early this morning to finish marking my students' examination papers (8 left before I went to bed last night at 2am), and while I was marking the last 3 papers, the electricity in my office went off AGAIN. God knows and some of you do know how often this happen to this mall. Yes... my office is located in a mall and it is embarassing that power always cut off in a mall. This is not the first time. It happens at least once a month and it is annoying. My staffs of course shouted when the electricity went off as they were doing work and didn't manage to save their works (not that they don't want to save, sometimes it is just hard to keep on clicking it to save it). In a sudden thought, I wonder if Sabah really have problem being 'good'.
It was 2 weeks ago that my boss came in to my room with a letter from our client in which the content of the letter has I call it a very defamatory statement towards all the Sabahan. The West Malaysian have the opinion that the Sabahan are lazy and always do works slowly. Last night, I heard another version from a few other successful businessman stating that they heard the same comment recently too. I am just wondering if this is really an 'issue' for Sabah.
I am sure most of the Sabahan would think the statement made is somehow defamatory. However, may be it is time for the Sabahan to also examine themselves and their attitudes in work. We, the Sabahan has the attitudes of relaxing and don't rush thing, whereas, the West Malaysian, they need to rush for every moment in order to get things to feed their tummy. It's the 'situation' that caused the attitudes I would say. For people like me who came back from the West after a few years of living in the 'dark', of course I will consider my situation now in Sabah as 'good'. But in terms of productivity and efficiency, I am sure you would agree with me that, we really have a bit of problem in that and it has certainly caused some very impatient people around us to be a bit frustrated with our attitudes.
I encounter many lawyers here in Sabah who always relax in their works. At least, some of them only need to do some drafting and research and the rest of it, leave it to the staffs to finalise. For me, I try to balance up all. I do all my works including binding my own cause papers, type all my letters, photocopy, etc. etc. I am a Sabahan, but I am not lazy, I shall say.. and I do know people arounds me who is Sabahan also is not also lazy but diligent in their works. So, when I saw the statement that ALL Sabahan worker are lazy, I do found it 'defamatory'. What is defamatory? Ah... read my previous blog... can't remember when I posted it. Long time ago. hahahaha...
To conclude, it's the attitude of an individual person and it shouldn't related to the whole Sabah in general.
- ended -

No comments: