Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My Doubt:

There's always a question in my mind, as a lawyer wondering why we always include Sabah as part of Malaysia but yet we don't enjoy the same treatement as Malaysian. Firstly, if one would like to take their Certificate in Legal Practice exam, it is BETTER to be in West Malaysia. Secondly, as a qualified person you need to serve 9 months of pupillege in West Malaysia whereas you need to serve 12 months of pupillege in Sabah.
Today, the West Malaysian is claiming their rights to appear as Advocate & Solicitor (lawyer) in Sabah & Sarawak. I am not sure on what basis they are asking for equal threatment at this point. Sabah does have it State Law, same as the other States. If the other States can have their States law enforced, why not Sabah in this matter? I am quite suprise the West Malaysia lawyers are asking for more 'portion of the meat' in Sabah while they are already bitting a BIG PIECE of it in Sabah. As the law in Sabah is a bit difference, and even a person has Sabah connection need to go through pupillege slightly longer, I see no reason why an openning should be given to lawyers in West Malaysia to practice in Sabah, especially they know very little about the Sabah.
However, if in any case the West Malaysian lawyers are allowed by the State Law of Sabah to practice in Sabah, I do hope certain requirement can be drawn up. If a Sabahan (with Sabah connection) need to go through a 3 more months pupillege, I do hope a smiliar requirement can be drawn for those who have no Sabah connection if in any case they are allowed by the State Law of Sabah later to practice in Sabah.

No comments: