I was always think the lawyers always uphold justice until I experienced the pain of a life as a lawyer.
Some terrible clients, I am not sure if they are rude, proud and stubborn in nature they know everything better than a lawyer. Besides, if you ask them why do they need a lawyer, it is simply because lawyer is a 'tool' for them to make money. After all these years of sweating over all the reading, researching persuing myself to own a degree or a Bar, I am really disappointed of being known as a 'tool'.
Clients think as long as they are the lawyers' client, they have all the rights to ask the lawyer to do whatever they ask for. They think they are the smartest creature in this world. The treat lawyers the same ways they treat their clients. If that is the case, I really do not understand, why didn't they do all the works themselves then, if they think they are so smart.
There is something I encounter this morning. I was drafting a summary judgment application for a company. Due to lack of documentation and inaccuracy of all the documents in my possession, it is difficult to show the court that there is no triable issue. With that, my application can be thrown out and we might need to go through trial. Hence, thinking for the best interest of my client, I requested the necessary documents from the person in charge by email ( so that I can have a proper record ). He called back with a very rude tones of his voice, asked why do I need it for. I am kind of being offended think "why? Are you checking my work and my competency?". With that kind of question, I HAVE to answer him as if he knows everything. So, I thrown in all the legal works into my conversation. I am sure he felt very angry and offended and he said me to be specific of what I want. I told him once more time, and he put down the phone, not very happy I presume.
*************************************************
I was working with a firm in Kuala Lumpur, came across this company in Tawau, where I was told by my colleagues that they are rather stupid although they always acted like they are the smartest. Since I was dealing with the matter, I paid very few attention into it. Not until I came back to Tawau, where my firm is also being engaged by them. I started to realise, they are indeed, STUPID, but act like they are the smartest.
Now, I started to realise why one of my senior lawyer in my previous firm told me and even taught me to scold the clients if they are stubborn and think they are smart. I really thankful for those who taught me how to scold those kind of clients. Otherwise, I found it too difficult to handle this kind of works and/or clients.
1 comment:
Most of the time, successful people think that they have become succecssful by being smart. And also, most of the time, their intelligence is the thing that got them into trouble with the law.
So, why would they want a lawyer? Because they cannot represent themselves in the court of law! And they don't hire a lawyer to be their consultant, they hire them to do the dirty work that needs to be done in the eyes of the law because they do not know how to fill in the forms properly.
So... do not be discouraged. It's a win-win situation. They launder more money on Legal Fees, and you gain more money billing them higher than they are willing to pay...
Post a Comment