A week ago, while I was watching TV around 9am, mom received a phone call from hospital. She put down the phone and she told me, "Dr asked me to go to the hospital to sign a paper to proceed with dad's operation". So, we went to the hospital.... when we arrived, the Dr without explaining anything, asked mom to sign the paper. I seriously didn't look at the paper (I wish I was more sober then as i was still adapting to the new medication). My mom hesitated and asked the Dr a few more questions, and the Dr just answer her plainly that the operation is to put the VP shunt into dad's head to connect his brain to his abdomen so that water can be drained out that way. Mom asked her what are the chances of surviving and what's the chances of not surviving and before the Dr continue, here comes the head of the male surgical ward, Mr. T. He sat down next to mom and here's the conversation: -
T: You don't want to let him do the operation?
Mom: I am asking how dangerous is the operation.
T: Very simple operation. Just plug it in and that's all.
Mom: Simple and not dangerous?
T: No. Not dangerous.
Mom: with his medical condition, it's not dangerous for heart attack and all?
T: Very simple operation. You want us to do or not?
Mom: No. I don't.
T: (look at me) I don't think your mother understand.
Then, T looked at us and tell us "then you bring him home now". Then he walked off.
My question is, is he a medical practitioner? Does he has the duty to explain to my mother if he knows she wasn't understand the situation? Does he has the duty to explain the danger? Are you going to put your dad's life to such a person's hand?
I kept this to myself until someone called us to the hospital again yesterday. I told the Drs that I do not even want to speak to Mr. T again. Yes, may be he is such a good surgeon, but his attitude, I don't think he is qualify as a doctor at all. Just like a priest who never believe in prayer. Mr. T to me, is a rubbish....
Some people think they are doctor and therefore they know more things than us and they are on higher level of society, well... to be honest, to earn that respect from people, I guess their attitudes should be one of the main factor. Some who cannot keep confidentiality, must first know how to do that before treating patients. These Drs, they are not earning my respect. I am looking down at them ... worse than those rubbish collector.
- Dr or Rubbish? -
No comments:
Post a Comment