We are on the 3rd phrase of the Movement Control Order (MCO). I have to say that I am much blessed by this MCO instead of feeling constrained, isolated and socially distanced. In fact, what I hope things that would happen, it happened and I hope this will last forever, that includes, the church services, the daily devotion and reflection, the resources online, the e-services, etc. etc. Well, at least, I have been living in such isolation and socially distancing life for a while now, just that more services are now available online so, I guess life gets BETTER.
I have seen and heard people complaining about not having a proper church service PHYSICALLY; not having the work to occupy themselves and therefore they are feeling they are useless these days; not having been able to socially/physically communicated with their loves one such as yum cha, tea sessions, chat sessions, wasting of time sessions and/or interact with people through sports; mentally they are challenged to be confined in a small space (with or without others around); not having their private time; not having their usual routines, and the list goes down so much about how much to make themselves feel GOOD.
Is attending church and go to work is all about making us feel GOOD? I am afraid I have the opinion that when people started to complain about the lack of all the above, it is because they have made all these as their counterfeit God - something/people that they cannot lives without. So much so that we thought money, power and sex are usually those elements and things that we will make them as counterfeit God, but unfortunately, that doesn't just about it. There are more than that, that includes ourselves. Do we make ourselves and our needs/desire our counterfeit God?
I probably told some that I love being alone. Yes. I do get out of my 'loneliness' and went to work, walk around the streets or shops to get things, or to meet up with friends to have a meal or two, but I don't make staying alone and being alone all that I need. In summary, I love being alone but I don't make it the only thing I need in order for me to be happy or lives my life. I don't make it my counterfeit God. Isn't money or making money important? Yes. It is, but I don't devote myself to just make money and lives for it. Is attending church services important? Yes. It is. Just that I am fine with virtue Sunday services too if that's necessary (due to sickness, inability to move, circumstances like MCO, etc). I don't make attending Sunday service physically a must and if not, it's a sin.
Furthermore, it is entirely something different between feeling social distancing, isolation and loneliness. I can go to church to attend Sunday service but I feel more lonely being there than being at home and have Sunday service virtually and had a Zoom discussion after that. My Sunday service in KK has been mundane. I attended Sunday Service physically every Sunday still but I always feel lonely. Never a time I feel welcomed or belonged. It's just going and go home, just like getting business sorted due to obligation.
During this MCO, I am so glad that the church in the UK has now having their Sunday services virtually and that I am not only able to attend the services once, but for both the services and have been following on their series without fail. Additional to that, they have come up with daily reflection, posted questions for you to discuss among your group of friends/group members, and since more and more of my friends are on Zoom and Skype or whatever virtue platform, I have been somehow more 'socially active' than ever. Do I feel less lonely? I do. But I am also happier because I have more 'connection' and resources that can help me to know and be with God better. I love this the most during the MCO. I really wish it will forever be like this, but no. I don't want this to be my counterfeit God. But for now, I am not complaining. I am using this time and circumstances to develop a better and different relationship with God.
I hope you are too. Don't keep complaining. See the good in all these and enjoy while you can.
- Counterfeit God? -
No comments:
Post a Comment