Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Respect

The understanding of the word opinion differs from one level to another.  I often took the higher standard as my own guidelines when I give my opinion because that’s the first thing I was asked to do when I first started my pupillage. 

Along the way, I forgot that there are many levels when it comes to opinion.

In the law profession, when one asked for an opinion, it involves lots of research and studies before we can issue our opinion to clients and advise them accordingly by giving them options and suggestions weighing between pro and con, depending on their situation and needs.  At the academic level, especially in masters and doctoral levels, we are asked to research specific topics, analyse issues, address them, and form our opinion and stand. If you can suggest a better method, resolution and finding, that would be added advantages. 

Even with lots of research and studies done before we form our opinion, we know that it might be challenged.  Many doctoral students can relate to this as their final thesis is to be published for the public challenge and put on their findings before they can be given the title Doctor (Dr.).  In the law professions, clients tend to pass our opinion to other lawyers to get opinion verified.

It is expected that people can disagree with my opinion or I disagree with their opinion.  It doesn’t mean I have to disrespect your opinion or vice versa.  Being a professional, we are entitled to our own opinion and also to respect other’s opinion. 

However, disagreeing with my opinion and joking with my opinion has a different meaning, in my opinion (you can differ too).  One is with respect, and one is disrespectful.  I understand some people might not have the ability to differentiate the differences between the two. Often, when they joke about it, they think the joke they cracked was of good quality and that people are not entitled to feel disrespectful angry.  

As much as I was trying to keep them cool and explaining the reason for my outrages (feel being disrespected), I was, being handled by their pride and the urge to win the argument (that their joke is perfect and should be accepted). You guessed it right; I didn’t get to tell at all. 

Note that some of these people do not have the knowledge of what opinion and respect means; they refused to listen, and even worse, they started to retaliate and blamed me for attacking them because I was angry (to them, it is unnecessary, and I was totally unreasonable).  All they focus on is their own joy (cracking the jokes they think it is outstanding) and pride (winning the argument that I got angry without a reasonable basis) by refusing to listen.    

I am unable to tolerate people using 'bla bla bla……' or using foul languages in their arguments because it is very disrespectful and offensive to me.   I can accept that they are of such attitudes and characters, but please respect my choice for not accepting those standards and language.  Yes.  I might sound trying to explain myself (your equivalent to 'bla bla bla') because you cannot understand, which I reckoned now that you have no idea of what the words opinion and respect means.  

#opinion #respect #outrage #pride #uneducated #differentlevel #donotactlikeafool 


- Respect - 





No comments: