Most people only understand that I am emotional at most of the time. None understand that most of the time, they are the one who annoys me to the max. I hardly react to annoyance, to be honest. When I reacted, people thought, I am emotional. Well, that's explainable because when the annoyance reaches the limit, I just reacted and my sudden reaction is therefore deemed to be 'emotional'.
Seriously, those who knows me well knows that I don't react to things, or scold people or angry or started to throw things most of the time. Sometimes, they think I will be angry, I didn't. Sometimes, they think that situation will make me scold people, I don't. Many times, those who are close to me find my calm reaction as 'unusual'. But no. Most of the time, the usual reaction was when I reacted to the annoyance at my maximum level. Hence, I told people, stop challenging me.
Having a pupil is the greatest challenge I ever had. Not that I do not teach or I am not willing to teach or to retain my pupil after their pupillage. It's how the person's attitudes in learning. During my pupillage, besides my bosses, I do have a few seniors who are my friends and uni-friends too. I have learned to respect them as my seniors and I work (and not study) like I working for my bosses. I never treat my bosses as friends, nor do works with attitudes (choose what you want to learn and not want to learn and what you like to do, what not), and I don't keep asking questions like I did when I was in Uni time. In fact, I never did. I studied and find out and took the extra efforts to learn. That's why I never have a 'precedent' to follow because I checked through the Rules and the Forms accordingly. In other words, I did my own research. When my bosses asked me to read 7 books within a day while I have 3 more bosses' works in the line, I didn't say NO. I said I will try and I did read up and had a good discussion the next day. What I sacrificed? My sleep. Is it worth it? it is! People will never understand the corporate world more than I do in Sabah these days. The knowledge and the experiences I gained, it's mine forever.
My pupil loves to ask around. Never check things, but ask first. Despite the fact that I asked her not to do so many times, she keeps doing it. For researches I asked for, none is done during the 12 months pupillage. What did she do most of the evenings? of course to hang out with friends, had some drinks, a nice dinner, church activities, and sleeps. Treating pupillage as part of her uni time. For people who don't like to learn, I find it reluctant to teach.
I have to admit that I gave up teaching her after so much attempts taken. She expects to work like a clerk or office boy who just follow instruction, don't use her brain and just sit there, not moving. Even though she drafted a letter, she will expect I go sign the letter, without her having the trouble to bring up for me to sign it. She expects that she is the boss and I am her clerk. That's the impression I get every single day. For issues I wanted her to think about as a lawyer, there's none success so far.
Upon many excuses I tried to give myself, including discussion the matters with other senior lawyers, everyone gave me a conclusion, that she just wants to be Called to the Bar, and not practising as a lawyer. I do not know if this is true. But having such person in the Bar, I foresee, I am contributing to the incompetent of lawyers in this society.
Seriously, deep down in my heart, I wish her all the best in her building her career. On the other hand, I really wish she is humble enough to learn. My greatest regret in this whole process is that I didn't know she has attitudes problems and I took her in thinking she can be a great help. She obviously didn't and her presence has caused so much difficulties to the firm and to my life. I am glad somehow that her pupillage is over and she told me she is leaving on the exact day before I can offer her a place. I guess God knows best what's best for me.
What can annoys me the most? People's attitudes!
- What can annoys me the most? -
No comments:
Post a Comment